Video is increasingly becoming a key feature of online media. Videos can help attract readers who are looking for quick information about major topics, as videos help compliment all of the in-depth information on wiki pages. In turn, more readers can lead to more contributors for your wiki.
Featured Videos are featured at the top of many of the high traffic pages on Fandom, and wikis have the option of adding additional videos throughout their pages.
How to add a video to your wiki
To add a video to your wiki, follow these instructions:
- Find the video you would like to add to your wiki. You can use videos from any of our supported video sites.
- Copy the URL of the video you would like to add.
- Go to Special:Videos, and click "Add a Video".
- (Note that Special:Videos is included under "Explore" in the navigation menu, so you can have easy access to it.)
- A box will pop up allowing you to enter the URL of the video you would like to add. You can also use this box to search for videos already uploaded to the community.
- Paste the URL of the video and click the "Add" button.
Special:Videos shows you all of the videos that are available on the wiki. You can use this page to view the newest uploaded videos.
- Find the video you want on a supported video site (like YouTube) and copy its URL.
- Go to Special:WikiaVideoAdd.
- Paste the URL of the video in the "Video URL" field and click the "Add" button.
On UCP WikisOn UCP Wikis, this feature works similar.To add a video, you can use the top-right menu and choose from the drop-down menu to add a video.
- This tab links to a page called Special:NewFiles (or "Gallery of new files").
- Click on the "Add Video" tab, which will pop-up a window where you can add the URL of your video. Click on "add" and the page will soon let you know if the upload worked.
- Gallery of new files lets you search media types, tick the "videos" box and search. Your uploaded video should appear below.
Of course you also can go directly to Special:NewFiles and add the video there.
How to add a video to a page
- Note: If you are using the classic editor or source mode, see Help:Video embed tool for instructions.
To add a video to a page using VisualEditor, follow these instructions:
- Edit the page to open VisualEditor.
- Click the video icon in the toolbar.
- In the dialogue box that appears, you can search for videos that are already on the wiki or upload a new one.
- Using pre-existing video
- Search for the video in the text field.
- Click the plus icon (+) on the video you want. You can select as many videos as you want.
- Click "Apply changes".
- Uploading a new video
- Copy the URL into the search bar.
- A preview of the video will appear, and you can select an appropriate file name.
- Click "Apply changes".
- Using pre-existing video
- Once you've applied the changes, you can drag the video wherever you want on the page.
- You can also use the arrows in the corners of the video to make the video smaller or larger.
- Double click the video for additional settings.
- In General Settings, you can add a video caption.
- In Advanced Settings, you can set the video's size and choose its position on the left, right, or center of the page.
- Click "Apply changes" to save any changes to the settings.
- Once you finish adding and editing the video's placement, click "Save page".
How to add a video to a UCP Wiki page
UCP Source Editor
- Use the media icon (looks like a "picture) in the top navigation bar and click on it.
- A window called "media settings" pops-up.
- In this window you can search your Wiki for the video you want to add or also upload an image.
- Choose your video from the media listed and click on "use this image".
- This will open another window, which allows you - under the tab "general" to add a caption and alternative text. At the bottom you also can choose to change the image (this brings you back to the first "media settings" pop-up). Under the tab "advanced" you can make additional changes to the video and how it will appear on the page. You can change position (left, center, right), define if you want text wrapped around the image, the image type (thumbnail, frame, frameless, basic) and the image size (default: 180 x 135 px).
- Click on insert!
- Preview and save your page.
- Click on the location where you want to add the video.
- Use the media icon.
- "Media settings" window appears.
- Choose your video and click on "use this image".
- Make your desired changes to your video like explained above in "UCP Source Editor".
- Click on insert and save.
How to replace or remove a video
In the event you need to replace a video, you will need to upload a new version of it at a different file name. You can do that by repeating the instructions above. This is also the approach on UCP Wikis.
If you are an administrator or content moderator and would like to remove a video, simply hover your mouse cursor over the video on Special:Videos and click the trash bin icon in the upper right-hand corner.
If you are on a UCP Wiki, go to the uploaded video file - you can search for videos on Special:NewFiles ("Gallery of new files") or go to Category:Video which should contain all the uploaded videos. Open the file, go to edit and choose "delete" from the drop-down menu. Choose a reason or "other/additional reason" why you want to remove it (or leave it blank) and click delete.
- Learn how Featured Videos are used on Fandom
- Learn how to enable features on your community using Wiki Features
- Learn how to create a great mainpage
- Learn how to edit the community corner